.testpic { background-color: #FFFFCC; } -->

Perpetual Exhaustion
hanging on by a thread

Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Juleigha's intake conference was this afternoon. At the meeting was Juleigha's speech pathologist, myself, the principal, the girls Kindergarten teacher for next year and the lady in charge of special ed for that school. We spent about an hour discussing Juleigha, her strengths, her difficulties, things it will be good for them to know so that they will have a better understanding of her. I let them know that she is very shy, and will not talk for the first week or so, and that during that time Melyssa will do the talking for her more then likely. I told them how she doesn't like to be touched, especially her face. How she has texture issues, but she doesn't not particpate in them, she's just very neat about it. I let them know that she gets frustrated easily when she can't get you to understand what she's saying. I let them know all my fears for Juleigha next year, how it scares me to death that she won't be able to get her needs across to the teacher. We discussed that she has slight delays in her fine and gross motor skills mostly due to low muscle tone. Talked about ways to draw her out when she has become frustrated. They all seemed to get a clear picture of Juleigha. The girls will have the same Kindergarten teacher that Daynah had, and she's very nice and caring and i hope that she will be able to get Juleigha to warm up to her quickly and be able to have the time to listen when Juleigha tries to speak. I'm glad we had the conference today, i'm not any less afraid about what next year holds for her, but i at least feel like the school will be better prepared for her (if they remember any of what we talked about today 3 months from now). And yes, i cried several times during the conference.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted: "Somebody"

Description: never been seen

Crimes: spilling milk, peeing on the floor, breaking toys and otherwise causing mischief

Reward: one mother's sanity for the apprehension of this "somebody" that is up to no good and making it look like Melyssa is at fault.

Barely Written by geenalyn at 10:54 PM |

4 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Gina said........
My youngest has muscle tone weakness, wears glasses and prefers to communicate with sign language. There are some motor skill delays ( she turned 2 last week and just started walking 2 month earlier). I feel you on this subject and am sending some extra strength hugs and compassion.
 


At 9:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
If you ever find Somebody, please let me know because I am hoping that I Don't Know and Nobody are with him/her. When I find the two of them, I can't promise that it will be pretty.
 


At 8:33 PM, Blogger Melly said........
(((((G))))) Those are the tough meetings. I know how scary it is, putting a special needs kid in the care of someone else.
 


At 10:14 PM, Blogger geenalyn said........
Thanks M. I'm terrified about her going off to Kindergarten in the fall...she's such a smart, loving, wonderful girl...i hate that things have to be so difficult for her. I'm trying so hard to be the best advocate, so everyone understands her needs
 



Copyright © 2006-2009 by G. All rights reserved.